I'm working to make a set of battle greaves. I'm trying t a new process and thought I'd show some of the process.
First thing I did was get some leather. Pig belly from tandy did the trick. Then I used a leather groover. Seems ok.
Then I decided to use a laser cutter/etcher on it.
I used some scrap pieces and did some testing:
looks ok, then I stained it. I realized that the image quality of the intial capture was lower than planned. So I redid it
then I worked to make a pattern to have on the greave
this was a first attempt:
I then cleaned it up, scaled it up
and then broke adobe illustrator. I mean it said I wasn't even allowed to save the file. I lamented. Then problem solved. It turned out I was using too many images in the pattern and the images were so small adobe illustrator took personal affront.
I started over and redid the image/pattern.
then etched it.
Some good results:
Here is a close up
This will be the base, I am planning on putting the republic and temple logos on the front of the greaves
I made a test etch and was pretty pleased. I'll probably stain them later
I then think I'm going to take the logo that adi gallia has on her gauntlet (also in the jedi temple floor)