So I have been churning out some kind of mundane sabers of late for use at tools for my saber classes, and have been in a funk for designing anything of late. Here are a few examples.
Thankfully for an auction item for my sons school, I decided to donate a saber and one of interns had just started playing with electro etching. Which then yielded this. This helped me perk up a bit.-
I then, thanks to thexter for the idea to try the idea and ARKM (for the tutorial)
I decided to give salt water etching a shot. This one is all free hand as proof of concept, but I'll turn it into a saber or something. It turned out pretty well. Next time, I'll use illustrator and the vinyl cutter.
I'll post stuff in here again when I update it. I have a little more work I want to try on it.
I used a vinyl cutter to make the mask submerged the hilts and did a positive and negative of the etch.
Here are the results. Overall, the acid didn't quite do it for me using the vinyl method, though using the vinyl as a resist worked spot on well in the initial attempt. I'm going to give it the go with vinyl cut + salt water. The blue pnp paper + acid).
It did give the sabers an old weathered look that I kind of like in the one on the right, as if the engraving has been worn away over time. I might try some other things on that one too. The one on the right... meh